Re: target/6882: [SPARC] Useless stack adjustment code

The following reply was made to PR target/6882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr>
To: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp at bitrange dot com>
Cc: dann at godzilla dot ics dot uci dot edu,
 <gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org>,
 <nobody at gcc dot gnu dot org>,
 <gcc-gnats at gcc dot gnu dot org>
Subject: Re: target/6882: [SPARC] Useless stack adjustment code
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:07:38 +0200

 > Now you're arguing about the *value of the optimization*.
 > I was arguing about *closing the PR for the wrong reason*.

 Well, you only asked me to give a specific reason for the adjustment code.
 I agreed that there appears to be no compelling reason for it. But the
 problem is that the code is emitted anyway. So IMHO the right question is
 rather: are there strong enough reasons for removing it? Therefore I gave my
 opinion on this latter question.

 > Having said that, let's continue to the *new* discussion.  You
 > can't optimize out the call from other translation units.  Not
 > being a SPARC maintainer I won't try to judge on the benefit,
 > but it looks simple enough and seems worthwhile.  C++ tends to
 > generate a lot of small trivial functions.

 Maybe. My impression is that, if the optimization was that simple and that
 worthwhile, it would already have been implemented. But I'm not a SPARC
 maintainer either, so...

 --
 Eric Botcazou