Re: other/9346: make uninstall does not remove all files

The following reply was made to PR other/9346; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <drepper@redhat.com>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: other/9346: make uninstall does not remove all files
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:10:41 +0000 (GMT)

 On 17 Jan 2003 drepper@redhat.com wrote:

 > After running 'make install' the use of 'make uninstall' does not
 > remove all the files.  In the $prefix/bin directly the following files
 > are left:

 "make uninstall" is documented (in the install manual) to be unsupported.
 We should, however, either support it properly (removing that
 documentation and the corresponding statement in sourcebuild.texi that
 front ends need not do anything in their <lang>.uninstall hooks, and
 documenting the target for users), as a target in the GNU Coding
 Standards, or unsupport it properly and remove the bitrotten rules and
 deliberately not support this part of the GNU Coding Standards (as with
 "make dist").

 So either way there is a bug here: the presence of bitrotten "uninstall"
 rules.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk