Re: c++/7954: g++ 2.95.4 bug while compiling QT library for Linux2.4.19

The following reply was made to PR c++/7954; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/7954: g++ 2.95.4 bug while compiling QT library for Linux
 2.4.19
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:54:53 -0600 (CST)

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:57:00 +0100
 From: stephane duverger <stephane.duverger@free.fr>
 To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
     2.4.19

 Sorry for the time .... but the problem is solved.

 In fact i have reinstall a clean system (not because it doesn't compile but
 because it crashed) and the Qt lib compilation has successfully worked.
 Don't know why it works now or rather why it didn't work before (maybe some
 problems related to gcc3 and 2 on the same system, it was a "without named"
 mess as we say in french :), on my Debian system. Now it is clean

 Thanks a lot for your help, or at least the feeling to help me :)

 I think you know Linux very well and maybe X-windows. I just have a little
 question.
 At home i have a system under WindowMaker which is in 1280x960 video mode.
 At work i have the same system under the same video mode, but the general
 font size of all of the applications is smaller (near the font size under
 Windows in the same mode) than at home.
 I don't know why, and almost i don't know where it could be setup. Nothing
 allow to choose a "general" font size, for the whole applications. I don't
 talk about Xressources, it's for instance the size of menu (File, edit,
 ... ). They are huge ... so strange.

 Maybe like me, you have a Linux environment for working and you have
 configured it to work in good conditions.
 I don't plead for microsoft, but we can say that the windows desktop is very
 beautifull even if it's not as configurable as Linux desktop.
 Another thing is the speed of window handling ... why it's so slow under
 Linux, I know X manage network but windows isn't renowned for being an
 "optimized" OS, and all of these applications are so easy to handle (
 regarding speed and motion in manipulation, mouse sensibility ...).

 What do you think about it, maybe you have an older experience than me on
 the subject and would give me some pieces of information.

 Thanks in advance,

 Best regards,

 ++stef