Re: bootstrap/6825: [Sun OS 4.1.4] gcc 3.1 fails to build

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6825; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/6825: [Sun OS 4.1.4] gcc 3.1 fails to build
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:20:27 -0600 (CST)

 > well, i'm compiling it now.  do you care about warnings ?  there are
 > _lots_ of them.  a gcc build for c/c++ usually takes a few hours on
 > the machine i have here (ss10 w/ dual 125Mhz hypersparc w/ 128M) so
 > my

 Thanks for your attempts. I think first priority would be to make the
 thing running. Warnings are not taken particularly important.

 > ./configure --prefix=/opt/local/stow/gcc-3.2.1 --enable-languages=c,c++
 > and
 > make -j2 CFLAGS=-O2 LIBCFLAGS=-O2 LIBCXXFLAGS=-O2 -fno-implicit-templates bootstrap-lean

 First, since this failed, could you retry by building in a separate
 build-directory, as the installation instructions recommend? I.e., if
 gcc-3.2.1 is you src dir, then make a parallel directory build and call
   ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --...
   make bootstrap

 Also, what happens if you don't specify CFLAGS et al? As far as I know the
 stage2 build already uses optimization flags, so there is no need to also
 use them for the first two stages (apart from possibly tripping your
 bootstrapping compiler).

 Thanks
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu