Re: c++/38: matching of function signatures

The following reply was made to PR c++/38; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
Cc: martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <nathan@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/38: matching of function signatures
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:17:02 -0600 (CST)

 > Is this fixed yet?  It's the oldest open bug in gcc's database.

 Nope, and I hope I can retain my status of the one who "owns" the oldest
 open report for some time :-)

 B.t.w., I bet this is the prototype of at least ten other reports that
 have been filed over the years. I've seen it quite a number of times, but
 finding these duplicates would require a more comprehensive audit of the
 4-500 or so non-closed C++ reports, which probably no-one has the time to
 do.

 There are certain classes of bugs that appear over and over again,
 like this one, problems with friends and namespaces, some template
 problems, etc. Sometimes duplicates are closed with a reference to
 another one. But in general, it's hard to find a duplicate even if you
 know that there's one, since I find search facilities in GNATS to be so
 limited (and also because it is often hard to come up with meaningful
 search patterns for a certain problem). I guess the only way to cope
 with that is to check every half a year whether a certain report is still
 reproducible and by this eventually close duplicates once one
 representative of this family has been fixed.

 Regards
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth