Re: preprocessor/7947: cpp0 -std=gnu99 rejects # comments

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/7947; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
To: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc: neil@gcc.gnu.org, bug-hurd@gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: preprocessor/7947: cpp0 -std=gnu99 rejects # comments
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:22:38 +0100

 Marcus Brinkmann wrote:-

 > That is my fault for not being precise enough in my bug report, sorry.
 >
 > The problem is that gcc calls the preprocessor with this ordering when
 > compiling an assembler file (foo.S) with the -std=gnu99 option.
 >
 > Try "echo \# foo > foo.S" and "gcc -std=gnu99 -o foo foo.S", this triggers
 > the bug.  -v shows that gcc passes -std=gnu99 to cpp when preprocessing the
 > file.

 Right, but everything you state is intentional.  -lang-asm deliberately
 comes first, otherwise it would clobber various other flags the user
 may have passed, such as -fdollars-in-identifiers, -trigraphs etc.

 The problem you have is that -std=gnu99 applies to the C language, and
 not to assembler.

 What is the reason you need to pass the switch?  If it's to avoid a
 spurious warning, we may be able to disable the warning if -lang-asm.
 If it's to achieve some additional functionality, we may be able to
 retain that functionality if -lang-asm.

 Neil.