Re: libgcj/7532: shutdown hooks not run upon abnormal termination

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/7532; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: <jmr@fulcrummicro.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: libgcj/7532: shutdown hooks not run upon abnormal termination
Date: 16 Aug 2002 16:02:16 -0600

 jmr> 	Shutdown hooks added with Runtime.addShutdownHook() are not run
 jmr>         if the program terminates abnormally, ie due to Ctrl-C.

 Yeah, definitely a bug.

 jmr> Here's a patch that installs a signal handler to catch SIGHUP, SIGINT, and
 jmr> SIGTERM.  The handler calls System.exit() so the shutdown hooks run.
 jmr> Installation of the signal handlers can be disabled with
 jmr> --reduce-signal-usage.

 I don't think we can do this stuff directly from the signal handler.
 I'm not sure what a better approach is though.  Maybe Andrew has an idea.

 I also don't think we need a gij command-line argument to reduce
 signal usage.

 Tom