Re: java/7482: gij verify error

The following reply was made to PR java/7482; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: <jmr@fulcrummicro.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/7482: gij verify error
Date: 12 Aug 2002 17:38:18 -0600

 >>>>> "jmr" == jmr  <jmr@fulcrummicro.com> writes:

 jmr> The gij verifier erroneously gives an error when run on the class
 jmr> file resulting from the following code:

 I've investigated this.  It is definitely a bug in the verifier.

 The problem is that after merging we see Object on the stack -- but
 this isn't compatible with the return value of the method.  This is
 due to a limitation in how we represent the type of items on the
 stack.

 One fix would be to adopt a workaround in the verifier's handling of
 areturn similar to that used in invokeinterface.  This fix would
 require adding a runtime check to the interpreter.

 Another choice would be to change the verifier's internal
 representation of types and merging.

 Tom