Re: java/7169: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: libiconv, li

The following reply was made to PR java/7169; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: dave.anglin@nrc.ca, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, bruno@clisp.org
Subject: Re: java/7169: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: libiconv, li
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

 > Maybe the problem here is simply a lack of documentation on telling
 > configure about libiconv?  I could write a doc patch...?  You can use
 > --with-libiconv-prefix=/prefix to tell configure where to find libiconv.
 > Does doing this cure the problem?

 1) The GNU and HP versions of iconv.h are incompatible.  If the GNU
    version is visible to gcc, then using --with-libiconv-prefix=/prefix
    where /prefix is the prefix of GNU libiconv works when building
    with cc.  However, libiconv is not used for the build because
    the GNU header is incompatible with the traditional compiler
    being used.  There could be a small update to the documentation
    for the --with-libiconv-prefix option.  However, I'm going to
    close the PR since most users will not encounter this problem.

 2) Fastjar doesn't build when starting with the HP bundled compiler.
    Since this uses the stage1 compiler, could building fastjar
    be disabled if the stage1 compiler doesn't define __STDC__?  Another
    way could be a --disable-fastjar option.

 Dave