Re: java/7169: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: libiconv, libiconv_open, libiconv_close

The following reply was made to PR java/7169; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: dave.anglin@nrc.ca
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org>
Subject: Re: java/7169: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: libiconv, libiconv_open, libiconv_close
Date: 01 Jul 2002 21:19:23 -0600

 >>>>> "Dave" == dave anglin <dave.anglin@nrc.ca> writes:

 Dave> I think what is happening is that the GNU version of
 Dave> libiconv installed in /opt/gnu is not found because
 Dave> the GNU iconv.h has "const" in the prototype for
 Dave> iconv_open:

 You can check this theory by looking in config.log.
 What does it say?  Any of the entries related to iconv would be
 interesting.

 Dave> However, gcc uses the GNU iconv.h header in the build.

 Ok.  This could be a minor problem in the libiconv autoconf macros.
 We've run into the odd bit of confusion in this area before.

 Bruno, do you remember what has happened in this area before?
 Do we need to upgrade the macros in gcc?

 Dave, I think what you're doing might not really be supported.
 If you install libiconv in a place that is going to be visible to gcc,
 then it seems like you can't pretend it doesn't exist.  What do you
 think about that?  I'd agree that it would be best if the autoconf
 macros automatically detected this situation; hopefully Bruno will
 tell us what extra info we need to diagnose what has happened.

 Maybe the problem here is simply a lack of documentation on telling
 configure about libiconv?  I could write a doc patch...?  You can use
 --with-libiconv-prefix=/prefix to tell configure where to find libiconv.
 Does doing this cure the problem?

 Tom