preprocessor/7040: gcc 3.x cannot compile its own preprocessor output

>Number:         7040
>Category:       preprocessor
>Synopsis:       gcc 3.x cannot compile its own preprocessor output
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Jun 15 08:26:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Thomas Dickey
>Release:        3.x (previously reported in pre-release of 3.0)
Using the -C preprocessor option causes the preprocessor to
generate an output file which cannot be compiled.  First
observed in the 2.96.x versions, the problem is that some
of the retained comments are passed through to the output
file's preprocessor lines, e.g., "#line", and the compiler
refuses to accept that.  Something as simple as a
"#endif /* foo */" can trigger this behavior.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try building lynx with the HTMLized config file, e.g.,
configure --enable-htmlized-cfg
>Fix:
I worked around this originally by removing comments from
some of lynx's header files.  However, glibc also has
comments in preprocessor lines.