Re: other/6773: gcc-3.1 make install fails using cross compiler

The following reply was made to PR other/6773; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: other/6773: gcc-3.1 make install fails using cross compiler
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:09:14 -0400

 On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:15:09PM -0000, jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
 > make install fails to install the include directory tree
 > The problem is one level of "../" in the install-sh path
 > is missing in several places.

 I couldn't read the typescript attached (GNATS is very very good about
 completely destroying the MIME attachments), but this is a classic symptom
 of configuring and building in the source directory instead of a separate
 build directory.  In-source builds are supposed to work in theory, but
 tend to be fragile and break often.

 Did you do an in-source build?  If so, can you try a separate objdir?

 Phil