Re: bootstrap/6590: gcc emits code that gas doesn't understand

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/6590; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To: Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org>
Cc: Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: bootstrap/6590: gcc emits code that gas doesn't understand
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 19:16:44 +0200 (CEST)

 On Fri, 10 May 2002, Bruno Haible wrote:
 >> You _really_ need to have binutils installed at the same
 >> prefix as gcc.
 > This ought to be documented. I would have expected to find this
 > information in INSTALL/configure.html.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html currently has:

   --with-as=pathname
           Specify that the compiler should use the assembler pointed to by
           pathname, rather than the one found by the standard rules to
           find an assembler, which are:

           + Check the exec_prefix/lib/gcc-lib/target/version directory,
             where exec_prefix defaults to prefix which defaults to
             /usr/local unless overridden by the --prefix=pathname switch
             described above. target is the target system triple, such as
             sparc-sun-solaris2.7, and version denotes the GCC version,
             such as 3.0.
           + Check operating system specific directories (e.g. /usr/ccs/bin
             on Sun Solaris 2).

           Note that these rules do not check for the value of PATH. You
           may want to use --with-as if no assembler is installed in the
           directories listed above, or if you have multiple assemblers
           installed and want to choose one that is not found by the above
           rules.

 Is some information missing here?

 If it isn't, but if you'd like to move (most of) this up, before
 "Target Specification" together with a short introductory sentence,
 I'd be strongly tempted to approve/install such a patch of yours. ;-)

 Gerald