Re: java/6092: sparc-sun-solaris2.7 has hundreds of libjava failures with -m64

The following reply was made to PR java/6092; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/6092: sparc-sun-solaris2.7 has hundreds of libjava failures with -m64
Date: 30 Mar 2002 15:54:50 -0700

 Kaveh>   spawn [open ...]
 Kaveh>   7 file6
 Kaveh>   close result is child killed: illegal instruction

 Thanks.

 Kaveh> (I don't know what the "7 file6" means.)

 It is dejagnu debugging output.  You can ignore it.

 Kaveh> Hmm, actually it *does* remove the FAILed executables.  Well,
 Kaveh> let's see, I was running several passes and the -m64 pass goes
 Kaveh> first.  I guess the subsequent passes without -m64 PASSed these
 Kaveh> tests and removed the executable.  :-)

 Ah, yes.  Sorry about that.

 Kaveh> That seems ok.  So I ran it and got:
 Kaveh> 	Abort (core dumped)

 Ok.  Often symptoms like this will mean some pretty low-level problem,
 like binutils failure or some basic problem with the port.

 Kaveh> If you'd like me to attempt anything else let me know.
 Kaveh> Alternatively, you could get a solaris2 box and run make check
 Kaveh> with: setenv RUNTESTFLAGS "--verbose
 Kaveh> --target_board='unix{-m64,}'" to get both regular and -m64
 Kaveh> passes.

 I finally read about -m64 in the manual.  It sets the pointer size to
 64 bits.  I think you would have to build the entire runtime with -m64
 for this to even have a chance of working.

 For instance, "hello world" with gcj needs a virtual method call.  If
 the hello program and the runtime disagree on pointer size, this is
 going to fail.

 Is there some mitigating factor I'm unaware of?  I'm inclined to say
 that this isn't really a bug, and that you must make a -m64 multilib
 if you want that to work.

 Tom