Re: libstdc++/3593: link error when using ofstream

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3593; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, db@rtsffm.com, bkoz@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/3593: link error when using ofstream
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:35:29 -0500

 Hi,

 If you take a version of gcc which was compiled on a system
 with glibc 2.1, and then use that binary on a system with glibc 2.2,
 then you will get these kinds of link errors because
 between glibc 2.1 and 2.2, mbstate_t  changed from a typedef
 to a macro.

 I reported this error on the libstdc++ mailing list in Feb. 2001 here:

 I posted a summary of the mbstate_t problem to the glibc mailng list here:
 http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-02/msg00149.html

 So the solutions are:
 - if you are using a binary distribution of gcc, make sure that you are
   using it on a system with exactly the same version of glibc on which it
   was built.  One way to do this is to stick to mainstream packaged
   distributions you can yell at packagers like Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake,
   etc. if something goes wrong.

 or:

 - rebuild gcc yourself from source on the system where you will be using gcc

 This problem has been posted on the gcc mailing lists
 at various times:
 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2001-07/msg00171.html
 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2001-06/msg00113.html
 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-07/msg00247.html