Re: java/5810: unrecognized character in input stream

The following reply was made to PR java/5810; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: bender@ugcs.caltech.edu
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, Alexandre Petit-Bianco <apbianco@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: java/5810: unrecognized character in input stream
Date: 02 Mar 2002 00:14:06 -0700

 >>>>> ">" == bender  <bender@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

 Hey.  I went to Tech.  Ricketts, class of 90.

 >> GCJ has trouble with extended ascii characters in variable
 >> identifiers. Sun's JDK happily accepts the following testcase.

 >> To repeat, type: gcj a.java -o a --main=a -static

 By default gcj tries to use your locale's encoding as the encoding for
 its input files.  Perhaps this isn't working on your platform for some
 reason (some versions of Solaris have problems in this area).

 You can always override, e.g.:

     gcj --encoding=ISO-8859-1 ...

 The names of the encodings are system-dependent, except that `UTF-8'
 will work anywhere (won't help in your case, as your file is Latin-1).

 This is all mentioned in the manual.
 I'm a bit surprised you didn't get an error from gcj explaining the
 situation.  Alex, was that error in 3.0?  Or is it new with 3.1?
 I can never remember these things.

 Tom