Re: target/5505: Doubts about a patch for OSF

The following reply was made to PR target/5505; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To: Richard.Kreckel@Uni-Mainz.DE
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/5505: Doubts about a patch for OSF
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:16:13 +0100 (MET)

 Richard B. Kreckel writes:

 > Sigh.  Finally they have patched the machine up to ld from patch 358 --
 > sorry it took so long.  Unfortunately, the problem does not go away.  I
 > have bootstrapped gcc-3.0.3 and compiled CLN from scratch and it still
 > complains about multiple symbols and crashes upon execution.
 >
 > So I have still no idea what is needed for gcc to function properly and,
 > hence, cannot provide a proper documentation patch.  I'm afraid, this is
 > as good as it gets, unless somebody can come up with an educated guess
 > what to try next.

 two things: please provide g++ -v output for some individual compilation of
 CLN, so I can see exactly how gcc was configured.

 Besides, could you run one of the crashing programs (tests/tests or
 tests/exam, I suppose) under ladebug to get at least an idea where it
 crashes?  While older versions of ladebug simply bail out on gcc compiled
 code with stabs-in-ECOFF debugging information, recent versions recognize
 and ignore it, but should get you a stack trace.  If this leads nowhere,
 we might be able to get some further debugging done with a copy of gdb 5.0
 hacked up to somewhat work on 5.1.

 	Rainer