Re: libstdc++/5464: STL problem using multithreading

Synopsis: STL problem using multithreading

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: ljrittle
State-Changed-When: Wed Jan 23 08:51:24 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Your program works fine with gcc 3.0.X on a system that
    both has C++ thread support and has it enabled properly.
    Some platforms are supported better than others.
    I can confirm that your example code works fine
    on Solaris 2.6 with gcc 3.0.3 and FreeBSD with gcc mainline.
    I can confirm that it crashed with gcc 2.95.X on FreeBSD
    in a manner you found.  FYI, no one to my knowledge is
    fixing libstdc++-v2 bugs in 2.95.X.

    FYI, I only reviewed the code quickly before testing it:
    your use of the global varibale "contention" is not
    threadsafe but mostly harmless.  Also, you should be
    aware that cout, etc are all shared global variables
    and thus it may not be safe to use them as you do.
    (offhand, I don't know the worst problem you might
    see.)

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5464