Re: target/2309: [ARM] SUBREG in memory reference

The following reply was made to PR target/2309; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk>
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/2309: [ARM] SUBREG in memory reference
Date: 23 Jan 2002 10:36:30 +0000

 On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 10:26, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
 >  I have the original post as sent out by gnats, but I can't even extract
 >  the testcase from that.  So I think it must either have been corrupted
 >  right up front, or have been a bad attachment in the first place.
 >
 >  However, sleuthing shows that the problem may have been fixed:
 >
 >  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-04/msg00131.html

 That patch doesn't seem to have been applied to the 3.0 branch or the
 trunk.  They both just say:

 			 Note this assumes that the target dependent
 			 files treat REG and SUBREG equally, including
  			 within GO_IF_LEGITIMATE_ADDRESS and in all the
 			 predicates since we never verify that replacing
  			 the original register with a SUBREG results
 			 in a recognizable insn.  */

 >  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-06/msg00419.html

 Do you think GO_IF_LEGITIMATE_ADDRESS in arm.h wants the same treatment
 that mips.h got here, ie this kind of thing:

 	   while (GET_CODE (xinsn) == SUBREG)
 	     xinsn = SUBREG_REG (xinsn);

 p.