Re: c/5448: gcc emits internal error (unrecognized insn)

The following reply was made to PR c/5448; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/5448: gcc emits internal error (unrecognized insn)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:37:38 -0500

 ----- Forwarded message from Olivier Jolly <ojolly@caramail.com> -----

 From: Olivier Jolly <ojolly@caramail.com>
 To: rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org
 Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:24:29 GMT+1

 > Synopsis: gcc emits internal error (unrecognized insn)
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
 > State-Changed-By: rodrigc
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Jan 21 16:54:04 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > Crash reproduced on gcc 3.0.3 and gcc 3.1 mainline.
 >
 > The line which is causing the problem is:
 >
 > section[pWrd - sCfgFileLine - 1] = '\0';
 >
 > where the variables are:
 > char *section;
 > char *pWrd;
 > char sCfgFileLine[8192];
 >
 > What exactly are you trying to do in this piece of
 > code? The compiler should not crash, but this code
 > looks suspect.

 thanks for your quick reply,
  this piece of code is code to recognize section declaration. It follows the following regex :

  pWrd is normally a pointer toward the ']' character inside the sCfgFileLine buffer. So, pWrd - sCfgFileLine - 1 should represent the actual size of the inner string, enclosed with brackets since it's the difference of 2 char*. The problematic line then should simply put a '\0' at the end of the freshly (re) allocated section variable.
  note: the very same expression is used on the line above without problem (	 strncpy( section, sCfgFileLine + 1, pWrd - sCfgFileLine - 1);) it's as array index that it causes problem.

 I hope it will help making gcc even greater. Thanks for all and good luck

  regards

  Olivier Jolly

 Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com