Re: other/2141: set -C in gccbug not portable

The following reply was made to PR other/2141; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: other/2141: set -C in gccbug not portable
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:03:49 +0000 (GMT)

 On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Rainer Orth wrote:

 > gccbug uses set -C to avoid overwriting files with I/O redirection.
 > Unfortunately, this isn't portable: none of Solaris 2.8, IRIX 6.2, or
 > Tru64 UNIX V5.1 /bin/sh support it, while bash and ksh do.

 Does this cause gccbug to exit at the set -C, or simply an unsightly error
 message?

 Is there a recommended method to create temporary files securely from
 shell scripts on these systems?

 I think the appropriate fix is for configure to look for a working POSIX
 shell (such as bash or ksh) on systems lacking the mktemp command and set
 -C.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk