Re: java/1866: Array initializer: undefined reference to `LJv0.0'

The following reply was made to PR java/1866; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco <apbianco@cygnus.com>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/1866: Array initializer: undefined reference to `LJv0.0'
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:38:16 -0800 (PST)

 Tom Tromey writes:

 > Alex, if this looks ok to you I will send it to gcc-patches and
 > check it in.

 I think it does. Go ahead, thanks.

 > I don't understand when you should call make_decl_rtl and when you
 > should call rest_of_decl_compilation.  The comments in the code
 > aren't all that clear.  And as far as I know there's no docs on
 > this.

 Both set DECL_RTL, but rest_of_decl_compilation might emit something
 in the output file.

 So you call rest_of_decl_compilation when it's the last chance for a
 decl to be considered for asm generation (and if it needs to.) Since
 we're in java_lang_expand_expr, catching what falls through
 expand_expr, it effectively is our last chance -- nothing will call it
 for you later on.

 I don't have an explanations as for why the bug would show up only for
 class files. It's clearly due to the new behavior enforced around the
 creation of DECLs, but I don't know exactly why. I guess it could be
 looked at.

 ./A