Re: c++/1688: Includes causing extern "C" not to behave correctly(?)

The following reply was made to PR c++/1688; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Henninger <daniel@unity.ncsu.edu>
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk>
Cc: Zack Weinberg <zackw@Stanford.EDU>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/1688: Includes causing extern "C" not to behave correctly
 (?)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:09:09 -0500 (EST)

 > > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
 > >
 > > the header is treated as a system header without -I/usr/openwin/include,
 > > and as a user header with the switch?  Did the user want it to be
 > > treated as a user, or system header?
 >
 > Yes.  I think Daniel wants it treated as a system header.  Like you
 > say, I think this is easy to solve - I wasn't thinking.

 Not... exactly.  Quite frankly I'm not understanding what good can come of
 treating system and 'user' headers as you call them differently.  If both
 when it was being considered a system and user header it complained, then
 I'd be more settled and consider it a "ok, sun needs to do something about
 that.. until they do, we're sticking with an older gcc".  What I don't get
 is why they should be treated differently.  If I were to, say, create a
 /usr/foobar/include and make it a symlink to /usr/include, why should that
 be any different than /usr/include itself?  At first I thought I could see
 a reason for it but I'm finding that I can't come up with any reason that
 would be a good thing, except to hide screwiness with non-complient
 headers on some os's.  If it's non-complient, then I'd think it should be
 fussed about whether it's a system header or not.

 And yes, if gcc were to be changed to how I'm describing, that would mean
 we couldn't use it on campus without telling all of our users to add
 -fpermissive and whatever else might be necessary, but I'd rather that
 than the confusion of why it works one way and not the other.

 If nothing else I'd just like to know the logic behind it working like
 this.

 Thanks guys!
 Daniel

 --