Re: java/1564: build problems

The following reply was made to PR java/1564; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Patrik Hagglund <patha@softlab.ericsson.se>
To: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
Cc: patha@softlab.ericsson.se
Subject: Re: java/1564: build problems
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:15:08 +0100

 > > I tried to build gcj from the latest gcc cvs sources according to
 > > the instructions found at
 > > http://sources.redhat.com/java/build-snapshot.html, but ran into a
 > > number of problems.
 >
 > What platform are you building on?

 Debian unstable.

 > >   2)  --tag GCJ (or CXX?) was not specified for C++ files at
 > >       libjava/Makfile.in:1184 (?)
 >
 > CXX would be the correct tag but this shouldn't be neccessary. It would perhaps be better to figure out why libtool can't figure out the tag automatically. I don't get this problem either.

 I only get this problem the second time I use make bootstrap. The
 problem seems to be that CXX is defined by the calling make
 through the environment (CXX_FOR_TARGET) and this definition is
 not identical to the definition of CXX in libjava/Makefile.
 Additionally, the value of CXX_FOR_TARGET varies with the contents
 of a generated file.

 More specifically, the definition that is used is defined by the
 top level Makefile and the top level configure.in file. In
 configure.in:55 the file
 $$r/$(TARGET_SUBDIR)/libstdc++-v3/src/libstdc++.INC is used to add
 include paths to libstdc++ for everything but libstdc++ itself.
 This is okay for the first make bootstrap because this file don't
 seems to exist at the point I had this problem, but it exist the
 second time I do make bootstrap, and then the value of CXX is
 different from the value recorded in libtool.

 (Why define CXX in libjava/Makefile, when this definition isn't used?)

 This problem is probably related to the third problem I had:

 --
 Patrik Hägglund