Re: c++/4356: Exception handling does not work at all for NetBSD/i386ELF target

The following reply was made to PR c++/4356; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
To: Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com>
Cc: <olgerd@pobox.com>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>, <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
        <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/4356: Exception handling does not work at all for NetBSD/i386
 ELF target
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:31:23 +0200 (MEST)

 On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Richard Henderson wrote:

 > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:25:45PM +0200, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
 > >         * config/i386/netbsd-elf.h (ASM_OUTPUT_ADDR_DIFF_ELT): Define.
 > >         (JUMP_TABLES_IN_TEXT_SECTION): Define.
 >
 > Err..  This has nothing at all to do with exception handling.
 > It has everything to do with switch statements.

 Well, in the process of throwing/catching an exception we run some
 code.  Among other, the function read_encoded_value_with_base() in
 eh_personality.cc.  And that function has a switch statment...

 Sorry for being unclear about the actual failure in my previous mail.

 > So what is the actual problem here, given that readonly_data_section
 > will fall back to text_section on a.out systems?

 But this is not an a.out system...

 Actually I have no clue if JUMP_TABLES_IN_TEXT_SECTION is needed, but
 the FreeBSD ELF version has a comment claiming it is necessary. And
 NetBSD and FreeBSD is nearly identical, so if it is needed by FreeBSD,
 then it is needed by NetBSD too...

    /Krister