Re: libstdc++/4096: libstdc++-v3/include/Makefile.in has several errors in it

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4096; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com>
To: rkl@connect.org.uk
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/4096: libstdc++-v3/include/Makefile.in has several errors in it
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:29:47 -0400

 On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:40:48PM -0000, rkl@connect.org.uk wrote:
 > >Environment:
 > HP-UX 11.00, but probably applies to most platforms

 Nope.

 > The new Makefile.in added with 3.0.1, namely
 > libstdc++-v3/include/Makefile.in has several problems:
 >
 > * The lengths of lines are excessive - HP-UX 11.00's vi
 >   can't edit them.

 The very first line of Makefile.in tells you that the file is automatically
 generated.  You're not supposed to be editing them directly.  (Users who
 do are assumed to have a decent text editor like vim.)

 > * The path for the rules involving gthr.h, gthr-single.h
 >   and gthr-default.h seem to be one level too low, causing
 >   the build to bomb out.

 That is a bug, already reported.  I think it might already be fixed in
 the development tree.

 > * Use of "-d" with the $(INSTALL) command isn't
 >   cross-platform (many install scripts don't support it) -
 >   see the install-data-local rule.

 Have you seen what $(INSTALL) evaluates to?  GCC ships its own installation
 script.

 > * "make install" installs the Makefile.in, Makefile and
 >   Makefile.am files into the install tree of gcc !!!!!

 Already fixed in the 3.1 tree.  The patch that did it hasn't yet been
 applied to the 3.0.x tree, but probably will be soon.  (It's a harmless
 but amusing bug.)

 Phil

 --
 Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
 new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance