Re: libstdc++/3759: nonconforming use of unqualified std:: names

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3759; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com>
To: "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com>
Cc: "Gabriel Dos Reis" <gdr@codesourcery.com>, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/3759: nonconforming use of unqualified std:: names
Date: 24 Jul 2001 20:16:01 +0200

 "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> writes:

 | I'm familiar with both issues, I promise ;-) I submitted them.

 I know and I promise I closely follow the resolutions since I'm
 concerned.  I quote the notes so that other people can have a view of
 what is the feeling of the LWG.

 | > My personal view is that not all standard functions should be used
 | > qualified or unqualified; therefore there ought to be a list of which
 | > functions are subject to Koenig lookup.
 |
 | Agreed. However, that still gives no leeway for the standard library
 | implementation of vector<T,A> to attempt to call fill without qualification.

 As to now, there is no wording that it should or it should not --
 which is why we have a DR in the first place.  Certainly, one can
 extrapolate,  but which functions should be used qualified or
 unqualified is still not known.

 -- Gaby
 CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com