Re: c/2160: signal 11 when compiling large generated program

The following reply was made to PR c/2160; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anton Ertl <anton@a0.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/2160: signal 11 when compiling large generated program
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:12:53 +0200 (MET DST)

 [This is a copy of a message already sent to
 anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, jsm28@cam.ac.uk, nobody@gcc.gnu.org]

 jsm28@gcc.gnu.org wrote:
 >     Feedback at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-06/msg01531.html
 >     (not sent to gcc-gnats, so not filed with this PR).

 Should I do something else than replying to all recipients of your mail?

 >     Excess memory consumption is still a bug; changed from
 >     ice-on-legal-code to sw-bug.

 I finally managed to compile this file on an Alpha with 1GB with
 gcc-3.0 with

 gcc -mieee -c engine.i

 Top showed about 1550MB virtual memory consumption during most of the
 time.  Top showed that the CPU was mostly in system or idle mode, with
 only about 0.5% user time; took about 30 hours.  The compiler produced
 a file engine.o, so I assume the compilation went ok (unfortunately I
 was not smart enough to log the output and status).

 - anton