Re: libstdc++/3497: after build problem

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3497; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <pme@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <isabet@club-internet.fr>,
     <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: libstdc++/3497: after build problem
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:09:53 +0100 (BST)

 On 2 Jul 2001 pme@gcc.gnu.org wrote:

 >     This is a binutils problem; there is a series of versions
 >     of binutils which don't work, and the missing __dso_handle
 >     symbol is the symptom.  You should either downgrade your
 >     binutils to an older version, or (preferably) upgrade to a
 >     newer version, such as 2.12.

 Closing a PR is hardly a complete fix to this problem - if some binutils
 versions don't work, we should test for the bug in configure and refuse to
 configure with broken binutils.  If the requirement for recent binutils is
 platform-independent, we should also document it generally in
 doc/install.texi and remove the documentation under specific targets
 mentioning various old versions that are required.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk