Re: c/2678: gcc/g++ should stick compilation options into the .o file

The following reply was made to PR c/2678; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com>
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c/2678: gcc/g++ should stick compilation options into the .o file
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:33:36 -0400

 On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:36:01AM -0000, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
 >  OK.  So now _here_ is a good excuse to come up with a new GNU invention...
 >  a new ``GNU standardized'' ELF section name.

 Given the overly-loose hammer and nail analogy that you sent me in private
 email, I'll assume you're being facetious here.  :-)

 >  Hummm... OK.  Wait a minute.  That would work, but I have a better idea...
 >
 >  Just _label_ each one of these hunks of option information with the
 >  specific corresponding .c or .C ``primary'' source file name that was
 >  being compiled when those options were used.  Then the final linked
 >  file would, in effect contain essentially a complete history, telling
 >  you how it got built.  Hell!  You could practically write a program
 >  to automatically reverse-engineer and re-create the original Makefiles
 >  (or files functionally equivalent to them) just from the final linked
 >  executable!

 Actually, my current implementation already does this.  I needed to figure
 out where an extra copy of the options was coming from, and I left the code
 in when I was done.

 And I've never tried writing a tool using the BFD library, but if I
 understand its purpose correctly, it should be easy to use it to write a
 build-option-pretty-printer for an executable.  It's on that part of my
 TODO list titled, "probably useless but would be really fun to try."[*]

 Phil
 [*]  Much of my life is under this category, so there's a good chance that
      this tool would be written, if I haven't misunderstood BFD.