Re: fortran/893: Preliminary loop exit compiled wrongly

The following reply was made to PR fortran/893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Tim Prince" <tprince@computer.org>
        "Richard Henderson" <rth@redhat.com>
Cc: <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
        <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, "Jakub Jelinek" <jakub@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: fortran/893: Preliminary loop exit compiled wrongly
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:23:53 -0800

 It's difficult to compare speeds of different versions; you must search for
 the best combination of options for each version, undo any code
 optimizations which are peculiar to one version, and so on.  I've found the
 current versions more accepting of standard source code arrangments and more
 likely to want -O2 rather than -Os.  Processor specific options
 [-march=pentiumpro [-ffast-math]] are useful in different circumstances in
 different versions. -O3 is more likely to be useful in later versions; I
 believe it has always dependent on the sequence of subroutines in a source
 file.