This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
[doc] Re: install.texi and alpha
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>
- To: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 07:38:44 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: [doc] Re: install.texi and alpha
- References: <alpine.LSU.email@example.com> <alpine.LSU.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>> References to dependencies on really, really old versions of
>> binutils (talking 10+ years here) which I think we can remove.
>> Let me follow-up with some of you with concrete suggestions
>> around that.
> The alpha*-*-* section currently has this:
> We require binutils 2.11.2 or newer.
> Previous binutils releases had a number of problems with DWARF 2
> debugging information, not the least of which is incorrect linking of
> shared libraries.
> Okay to yank this?
I do not recall ever seeing a response, and it's now been two
further years, so I went ahead and committed the patch below.
2019-08-20 Gerald Pfeifer <email@example.com>
* doc/install.texi (Specific, alpha): Remove note to use
binutils 2.11.2 or later.
--- doc/install.texi (revision 274619)
+++ doc/install.texi (working copy)
@@ -3472,11 +3472,6 @@ This section contains general configuration inform
Alpha-based platforms using ELF@. In addition to reading this
section, please read all other sections that match your target.
-We require binutils 2.11.2 or newer.
-Previous binutils releases had a number of problems with DWARF 2
-debugging information, not the least of which is incorrect linking of