This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc 4.7 libgo patch committed: Set libgo version number
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>
- Cc: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gofrontend-dev at googlegroups dot com
- Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:27:49 +0200
- Subject: Re: gcc 4.7 libgo patch committed: Set libgo version number
- References: <email@example.com> <5086C2D9.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 06:16:25PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 23.10.2012 06:55, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > PR 54918 points out that libgo is not using version numbers as it
> > should. At present none of libgo in 4.6, 4.7 and mainline are
> > compatible with each other. This patch to the 4.7 branch sets the
> > version number for libgo there. Bootstrapped and ran Go testsuite on
> > x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu. Committed to 4.7 branch.
> changing the soname of a runtime library on the branch? I don't like this idea
> at all.
Me neither. You should just make sure you increment the soname on the trunk
whenever new major release has ABI changes, and don't do ABI changes on the release