This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Add attribute "artificial"
- From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Devang Patel <dpatel at apple dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Geoff Keating <geoffk at apple dot com>,Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin dot org>, Stuart Hastings <stuart at apple dot com>,Fariborz Jahanian <fjahanian at apple dot com>
- Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:51:32 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add attribute "artificial"
- References: <615DDEFA-C714-42B4-91B3-15AD0BC25AC3@apple.com>
Devang Patel wrote:
As we discussed on Friday, this patch adds new attribute - artificial.
We do not need to set DECL_IGNORED_P bit. So, instead of removing debug
info. this patch updates the debug info. Inliner is updated to adjust
location info when "artificial" attribute is seen.
Setting DECL_ARTIFICIAL did not work because it does not survive after
duplicate_decls() etc. Plus C++ version takes different action based on
whether DECL_ARTIFICIAL is set or not. If we really want to pursue that
route then further changes will be required. This patch does not
overload DECL_ARTIFICIAL and keeps everything clean and separate.
You are correct: setting DECL_ARTIFICIAL is not right. DECL_IGNORED+P
is what we should set. And, that should be debug backend independent;
there should be no need to modify the DWARF or DBX backends.
Also, "artificial" is not a good name for this attribute; "nodebug"
would be better.