This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [tree-profiling-branch PATCH IPCP extensions + Function cloning
- From: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>
- To: Razya Ladelsky <RAZYA at il dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>, Ayal Zaks <ZAKS at il dot ibm dot com>,gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, hubicka at ucw dot cz,Mircea Namolaru <NAMOLARU at il dot ibm dot com>, stevenb at suse dot de
- Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:05:28 +0100
- Subject: Re: [tree-profiling-branch PATCH IPCP extensions + Function cloning
- References: <20050116191405.GA4051@kam.mff.cuni.cz> <OF8DE08550.21DF4A86-ONC2256F8C.0035CD53-C2256F8C.003632B5@il.ibm.com>
> > What makes templates so special so you want to avoid the versioning
> > here?
> Many libstdc++ tests failed when we versioned templates.
> I'll continue to investigate this, in the meantime I want to avoid it.
I really don't quite like to add extra interface just to paper around
the bug. In the case you are not shooting to enable the pass by default
yet, I would preffer to simply leave it breaking libstdc++ until it gets
fixed (I think it is fine given the current relatively experimental
nature of branch) or perhaps I can help here?
> >> bootstrap failed until this change was done...
> > Hmm, this sounds like latent inliner (or at least copy_body) bug. Would
> > you mind to explain what went wrong without this hunk?
> When copying the edge between the EXIT block and its predecessor, the
> flags of the original edge
> are not copied, but it is assigned with FALLTHROUGH flag.
> It appears that there are some functions in which this particular edge has
> a different flag. Copying the
> cfg of such a function, in such manner, causes ICE for the copied version.
> (The cfg verification fails
> if I remember correctly.)
> I can try and recreate this case if you wish.
This sounds like fine explanation to me actually. I would guess that we
didn't hit the disaster here as for inlining the extra edges don't
matter and we re-create them in RTL passes at least. Please make the
chunk to happen unconditionally and kill the old code creating exit edge