This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Fix PR middle-end/17793
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:11:33 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix PR middle-end/17793
- References: <10410200020.AA15312@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
On Tue, 19 Oct 04 20:20:21 EDT, firstname.lastname@example.org (Richard Kenner) wrote:
> That would seem to imply making a copy of the (possibly aggregate)
> value, which I thought we were trying to avoid.
> *Semantically*, it's a value. That doesn't mean we have to make a copy
> when it isn't needed!
Perhaps framing the distinction in terms of objects would help. NOP_EXPR
creates a new object with the same value, whereas VIEW_CONVERT_EXPR
accesses the same object as a different type. Do you agree with that