This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Omit frame pointer and fix %ebp by default on x86 (take 3)
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- To: Roger Sayle <roger at eyesopen dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:20:49 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Omit frame pointer and fix %ebp by default on x86 (take 3)
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 06:59:51PM -0600, Roger Sayle wrote:
> * config/i386/i386.c (override_options): Default 32-bit targets to
> "-fomit-frame-pointer -ffixed-ebp" when optimizing if the user
> hasn't explicitly specified a frame pointer command line option.
Excuse me for waffling, but I wonder if this buys us anything
at all? If backtrace(3) always returns __libc_start_main, and
nothing else, have we done the user any favours?