This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC Status Report (2004-03-09)
- From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:48:04 -0800
- Subject: Re: GCC Status Report (2004-03-09)
- Organization: CodeSourcery, LLC
- References: <10403311741.AA18272@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
Richard Kenner wrote:
I have a suggestion, one that I think I made before:I'd be OK with that approach. Do you have a patch we can try out?
There are two separate cases.
For the not-all-field-specified case, we *have* to do the clearing, but it's
relatively uncommon. So if TARGET is /u, make a new temporary, do the store
into it in the usual manner, and copy it into the /u TARGET.
In the other cases (mostly_zero), the clearing is an *optimization*. So
suppress it for the /u TARGET.