This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Call for testers: libiberty/physmem.c
- From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej at wasabisystems dot com>
- To: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Mike Stump <mstump at apple dot com>,"Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu>, mrs at apple dot com,gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:48:59 -0800
- Subject: Re: Call for testers: libiberty/physmem.c
- Organization: Wasabi Systems, Inc.
- References: <A19DC714-4867-11D7-8124-003065A77310@apple.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 06:34:31PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I have a theory.
> My theory is that, on Darwin, RLIMIT_DATA is applied only to memory
> allocation via brk(), but both malloc() and ggc-page.c are getting
> their memory from mmap() or equivalent. Possibly malloc uses the real
> Mach memory-allocation primitive, whose name I do not remember?
This is a good theory. Anonymous mmap pages were mis-accounted in Mach VM
and in NetBSD's UVM for a while.
-- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej at wasabisystems dot com>