This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: patch: Re: rfc: auto-casted vector types
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at redhat dot com>
- To: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Graham Stott <graham dot stott at btinternet dot com>, Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Kumar Gala <kumar dot gala at motorola dot com>, mark at codesourcery dot com, Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: 19 Feb 2003 15:23:29 -0500
- Subject: Re: patch: Re: rfc: auto-casted vector types
- References: <38346FF9-443E-11D7-9EC3-000393750C1E@redhat.com>
>> This kind of hints that such builtins should take and return opaque
>> then you wouldn't need any casts?
>Correct, and that's what we're trying to do by casting the arguments
>to the builtin, and the return value from the builtin.
I think you are confusing intrinsics and builtins. You are proposing to
fix the problem by adding casts to the intrinsics in spe.h to get around the
fact that the builtins return the wrong type. The other solution is to fix
the builtins in rs6000.c to use the right type.