This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb dot enyo dot de>
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- Cc: roger at www dot eyesopen dot com, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:38:06 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- References: <10302131308.AA00557@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
email@example.com (Richard Kenner) writes:
> behavior. I have three major problems with it:
> (1) It removes the potential of optimizations that assume such overflow cannot
> occur in languages where it is undefined (C, C++, and Ada).
The last time I asked, I was told that GCC already does not check in
some cases if arithmetic overflow can occur and still performs some
optimizations which assume that no overflow occurs.