This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu, roger at www dot eyesopen dot com
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:09:13 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
> The issue is GCC's internal representations, which shouldn't suffer
> from the same issue of poorly defined languages. Hence, if CSE sees
> "x = i++; i = x" it had better understand exactly what "i = i++" means
> at the RTL-level. One might hope that the interpretation of RTL and
> TREEs are independent of the source language and target architecture.
Most certainly the meaning should be specified and exact, but also it can
most certainly be non-deterministic with several possbile outcomes.