This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu, roger at www dot eyesopen dot com
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:50:28 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
> So what? There's no requirement that erroneous programs produce the
> same result in different versions of GCC.
There is also no requirement that the compile speed not be multiplied by
100 in the next version of GCC. The standard is not the only source of
criteria for a usable compiler, and a compiler that takes too much advantage
of undefined behavior may be a menace even if it is conforming.