This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- Cc: roger at www dot eyesopen dot com, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 13 Feb 2003 16:32:27 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document arithmetic overflow semantics
- Organization: Integrable Solutions
- References: <10302131529.AA02127@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
email@example.com (Richard Kenner) writes:
| I completely disagree, and so do GCC's patch reviewers. The behaviour
| of a program with optimization should always be the same as its behaviour
| without optimization.
| Only for correct programs.
| Are you really claiming that a program with an uninitialized variable
| must be compiled in such a way that it produces the same result independent
| of optimization?
I believe this generalization is drifting away from the initial