This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: remove old Linux/ARM cruft
- To: Philip Blundell <philb at gnu dot org>
- Subject: Re: remove old Linux/ARM cruft
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:08:19 +0000 (GMT)
- cc: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >This seems a bit premature; my Netwinder still has an old linker installed,
> >and it's only about a year old.
> Hmm. Well, be that as it may, I'm still inclined to just say that folks
> should upgrade to a recent version of binutils when installing GCC 3.0.
> The "old" linker was neverin any released version of GNU binutils; you
> can't use it to build the Linux kernel, and I wouldn't be surprised if it
> had trouble with things like glibc as well.
How about getting rid of the much older i386-linux-oldld configuration as
well (again, requiring a binutils upgrade)?
For both the arm-linux-oldld and i386-linux-oldld cases:
* The relevant entries in install.texi should be removed (until we get rid
of install.texi altogether).
* I think the entries in config.gcc should remain, and just give an error
that more recent binutils are required and exit.
Joseph S. Myers