This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: VAX PATCH: remove FILE_NAME_NONDIRECTORY
- To: John David Anglin <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- Subject: Re: VAX PATCH: remove FILE_NAME_NONDIRECTORY
- From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw at stanford dot edu>
- Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:44:36 -0800
- Cc: Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew dot org>, dave dot anglin at nrc dot ca, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200102211825.NAA29631@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:25:35PM -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Ever since this:
> > 1997-10-31 Brendan Kehoe <email@example.com>
> > * lex.c (FILE_NAME_NONDIRECTORY): Delete macro.
> > (file_name_nondirectory): New function, doing the same
> > as the macro.
> > (set_typedecl_interface_info): Use it instead of the macro.
> > (check_newline): Likewise.
> > (handle_cp_pragma): Likewise.
> > the macro FILE_NAME_NONDIRECTORY in gcc/config/vax/xm-vms.h seems to
> > be unused.
> My initial thought is the patch by Brendan Kehoe broke the VMS port.
Odds are very high that it has been broken for years now.
> The VMS port overrode the define for this macro because it needed
> special handling to extract a file name. The current version of
> file_name_nondirectory in toplev.c is not appropriate for VMS.
> Thus, we need instead to redefine the macro and change all calls to
> file_name_nondirectory to fix the problem.
Wouldn't it be better to make file_name_nondirectory honor the macro?
Then we only have to worry about it in one place.