This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PATCH: FreeBSD system header didn't like the move to __GNUC__== 3
- To: <rittle at rsch dot comm dot mot dot com>
- Subject: Re: PATCH: FreeBSD system header didn't like the move to __GNUC__== 3
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:24:22 +0000 (GMT)
- cc: <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Loren James Rittle wrote:
> To whomever had the great idea of upping __GNUC__ last week instead of
> waiting until the day before the 3.0 release, I salute you. Other
> developers that support an OS where gcc is the default system compiler
> may want to assign someone to carefully check their system headers and
> assumptions on __GNUC__ usage. We only found this breakage on FreeBSD
> since it impeded bootstrapping (by design?).
I pointed out the potential existence of problems in third party software
and its use of __GNUC_MINOR__ last April
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-04/msg00561.html>. Did no-one from
FreeBSD follow my suggestion to grep their source tree until now :-)?
Your replacement test ought to check for __GNUC__ > 2 or __GNUC__ >= 3 to
avoid breaking with GCC 4.
Joseph S. Myers