This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] variable size arrays in nested functions
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] variable size arrays in nested functions
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:17:10 -0800
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <10102092345.AA09020@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 06:45:05PM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
> Let us all look forward to that blessed day in which SAVE_EXPR is
> forever banished to the pit.
> How could it be? It seems to me to be semantically critical when you
> need the result of expression that have side-effects.
By using an unnamed VAR_DECL.
> Sure, you can use variables for the bounds, but SAVE_EXPR is just a
> shorthand for that and avoids the scoping issues inherent with such
Trading scoping issues for the re-evaluation horrors we have with
SAVE_EXPR and UNSAVE_EXPR is not a win, IMO.