This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PATCH for Re: more evidence that failing to detect ICE's is a significant problem
- To: law at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: PATCH for Re: more evidence that failing to detect ICE's is a significant problem
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at Synopsys dot COM>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 98 23:34:13 PDT
- Cc: jason at cygnus dot com, mark at markmitchell dot com, jbuck at Synopsys dot COM, egcs-patches at cygnus dot com
> > Oops, I forgot to respond to this before. I don't think this patch is a
> > good idea, as there's no way to set XFAIL for the ICE.
I don't think that we should be setting XFAIL for ICE's. In several
cases, where we were setting XFAIL for a test, the expectation was for
a miscompile, not a crash. Because ICE's look so bad, any ICE's should
be clearly exposed to all egcs developers and testers, so there will be
more incentive to fix them. We may be expecting a failure but we
should not be expecting an ICE.