This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Patch to change warn_write_strings to flag_const_strings
- To: Jim Wilson <wilson at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: Patch to change warn_write_strings to flag_const_strings
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at cygnus dot com>
- Date: 18 Aug 1998 13:16:54 -0700
- Cc: egcs-patches at cygnus dot com, law at cygnus dot com
- References: <199808181945.MAA17777@rtl.cygnus.com>
>>>>> Jim Wilson <email@example.com> writes:
> For C++, string constants are `const char' by default, so I'd
> like to change the flag that controls this behavior in c-common.c, and
> in any case it seems odd to control semantics with a warn_* flag. What
> do you think?
> I agree, but it seems just as odd to have a -W option set a flag_* variable,
> so I don't see that we have gained much unless you plan to do something else
> like add a new -f option or change documentation.
The new -f option would be in the C++ frontend; we will have separate
-fconst-strings and -Wwrite-strings. I thought it would be less confusing
to have the internal flags named appropriately.